The Legend

The Most Haunted Restaurant in Florida

Food Network-2019

Staff have reported seeing picture frames moving and feeling as if they’re being watched while closing at night. Some employees have even quit from the spookiness.

The Legend of 70 Hypolita Street

The area where 70 Hypolita St. now sits was first developed in the late 17th century as a work camp during the construction of the Castillo de San Marcos and later as a neighborhood after the completion of the fort in 1695. All structures were destroyed in the 1702 siege of the city, those generally north of Cuna St. by the Spanish to establish a clear filed of fire from the fort and those south by the invading South Carolinians. By mid-century buildings had been rebuilt mainly along St. George and Spanish Streets, and a number of them still stand. During the British period, the Minorcans generally settled in this section of town, and it remained the “Minorcan Quarter” will into the 19th century.

New construction continued in the Second Spanish Period (1784-1821). By the 1900’s, this section of town had gradually deteriorated into a depressed business district.

In 1835, before the construction of 70 Hypolita St., George Colee, who would be the first owner of building, fought in the Seminole Wars. During a battle George lost one of his eyes, earning him the nickname of One-Eyed George. After the war, George received 80 acres of land which had been given by President Franklin Pierce in an act to give bounty land to soldiers who had been engage in the military service of the United States.